Funkadelic and Boston production duo Soul Clap enjoy a casual Corvette cruise and confront the horrors of unmitigated oil consumption in the surreal live-action/claymation clip for “In Da Kar.”
Recorded during the pair’s 2013 sessions — and featuring a rare appearance from Sly Stone on keys — “In Da Kar” boasts a slick, smooth, understated groove while George Clinton’s voice crackly voice roughens up the edges. It’s an undeniable driving song, and the video fittingly opens with the Soul Clap guys, decked out in flamboyant Seventies-style outfits, pulling up to a gas station in slow motion to refill the tank of their black Corvette.
Read more at Rolling Stone.
Sly & The Family Stone’s “Everyday People” was covered on the inaugural episode of “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” by Mavis Staples and the show’s house band. Alabama Shakes’ Brittany Howard, members of Beirut, Buddy Guy, Ben Folds, Aloe Blacc, Derek Trucks, and others were alongside Staples during the cover performance.
Read more and check out the video at Pitchfork.
“Oh my god, it’s Sly!”
That’s what one audience member exclaimed Sunday, Aug. 23 at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank when music icon Sly Stone made an ultra-rare appearance on a concert stage, with no less than the Family Stone, which features several original members of Sly & The Family Stone.
Stone popped up on stage to play keyboards on the band’s hit, “If You Want Me to Stay.”
“It was quite a surprise, a pleasant surprise and it was cool,” said Family Stone member Greg Errico after the show. “I couldn’t see people’s faces in the audience but everybody told me there was a lot of crying going on — it was emotional.”
Read more at the Asbury Park Press.
Photo credit: Count Basie Theatre
The White House joined Spotify today, creating daytime and evening playlists featuring some of President Obama’s favorite summer songs. On the daytime playlist — Sly & The Family Stone’s “Hot Fun in the Summertime.” Enjoy the full “Day” playlist, featuring Sly & The Family Stone, below!
The President’s Summer Playlist: Day
- Ain’t Too Proud to Beg – The Temptations
- Live It Up – Isley Brothers
- Memories Live – Talib Kweli & Hi Tek
- Tombstone Blues – Bob Dylan
- So Much Trouble in the World – Bob Marley
- Paradise – Coldplay
- Tengo Un Trato (Remix) – Mala Rodriguez
- Wang Dang Doodle – Howlin Wolf
- Another Star – Stevie Wonder
- Hot Fun in the Summertime – Sly & the Family Stone
- Boozophilia – Low Cut Connie
- Wherever Is Your Heart – Brandi Carlile
- Good Day – Nappy Roots
- Green Light – John Legend
- Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
- Rock Steady – Aretha Franklin
- Down Down the Deep River – Okkervil River
- Pusher Love Girl – Justin Timberlake
- Shake It Out – Florence + The Machine
- La Salsa La Traigo Yo – Sonora Carruseles